[ExI] Immaculate Election

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Jan 12 20:34:31 UTC 2021

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Dave Sill via extropy-chat

>…No large, complex system is ever perfect…

We can do better.

>…And even if we had a perfect voting system, we'd still be subject to bogus conspiracy theories…

We would have fewer however.

 >…They're not. They're not perfect, but they generally get the job done…

If we can generally get the job done without them, is there any justification for the machines?  What is that justification?

>…The cause of riot wasn't distrust in voting machines, it was an unhinged, egomaniacal scam artist pushing unbacked claims of voting fraud. That could still happen without voting machines…

So no worries, eliminate sources of suspicion of voter fraud.  Some of that centers on voting machines, so get rid of those.  We don’t need them.  Some of the theories surround the vote harvesting, so end that.  Some of it has to do with inadequate signature verification and failure to publish registered voter lists, so end those practices.  Some of it has to do with failure to check ID at the voting places, so check ID at the voting places.

If we true up the voting system, the good guys will win every time.  The winner of a trustworthy election system is by definition the good guys.  Everyone, well nearly everyone, wants the good guys to win every time.  I would estimate over 95% of all voters want the good guys to win.  So… let us work to create a trustworthy voting system.  Start by trashing those voting machines.

>…If "nobody" trusts the machines, they should take that up with the people buying them with their money…

Good idea.  Start by voting out any policy maker who wants to use them.

>…Imagine what could be accomplished by an open source hardware/software voting platform with a few million dollars of public funding.  -Dave

It wouldn’t cost a few million dollars.  The open source would be paper ballots, filled out with a pen or pencil.  They would be counted by armies of volunteers.  So simple.  So reliable.  So trustworthy.