[ExI] labels

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 20:55:03 UTC 2021

In clinical psychology, at least in my time, a therapist never applied a
label to a client, and of course never revealed one to a client.  Problem:
they will try to live up to the label. To the therapist it becomes a
stereotype and they will tend to see things that are not there.

Applying a label to something becomes a part of that something, like a
person.  Label yourself politically, say right, and you will be attracted
to right news and right people and so on. And become more right.

I have seen this in this group:  people asking themselves if they were
still libertarian, since they have changed somewhat from years ago.

People tend to want to be consistent - if not  = cognitive dissonance.  But
parts of your beliefs slip away and are replaced by others not as similar
to the whole as the gone ones.  So you may ask:  what am I now?  Do I need
a new label?  I find myself agreeing sometimes with people who have
different labels.  Am I coming apart at the seams?

You noticed that I am a victim here.  Lately taking online tests, asking
questions, finding a difference between left and Leftists.  Ambiguity
increases:  I read 'left' in a post and wonder if they are talking about me
or about Leftists.  Can we even talk without using labels?  Can we get away
from the 'us and them' nature of labels?  Blaming something on the left
raises my ire.  But I do not know exactly who they are blaming.  It would
be much more helpful if the position attacked would be spelled out rather
than a label used.  bill w