[ExI] Immaculate Election

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Jan 18 19:10:50 UTC 2021

> On Behalf Of Dave Sill via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] Immaculate Election

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 11:02 AM spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:

Good then you should be all for increased transparency in order to maintain trust from reasonable people.  So am I.  This process needs a lot more transparency.

>…I would not be OK with entirely human tallied voting.  -Dave

Dave do elaborate please.

My reasoning on this is that it would involve a lot of ordinary citizens with lots of witnesses, like our court system, which would educate the citizenry.  Transparency is good, even if it takes longer.  We can wait.

In our society today, we disallow private one to one interaction between adults and children, for understandable and justifiable reasons: it has the appearance of impropriety.  There is one exception: priests hearing confessions.  They argue that it is a legitimate exception, he’s a priest after all, he took oaths, he’s a man of Me (which isn’t true, he isn’t My guy) and what can go wrong?  Well, as we know, things can go wrong with that.  For starters, it has the appearance of impropriety, even in the overwhelming majority of cases where no impropriety takes place: we can’t verify it didn’t.

So… I am suggesting we eliminate or at least reduce as much as practical the appearance of impropriety in voting, something I have advocated for over 20 years (that 2000 election was a real wake-up call.)  Start by throwing out those voting machines.  We don’t need them.  Italy and UK somehow get by without them.  Involve lots of volunteer citizen labor in counting the votes by hand.  Then we have plenty of firsthand witnesses, ordinary citizens, partisans, god itself (I will cheerfully volunteer to help with that) and everybody.