[ExI] the science might be wrong

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Fri Jan 22 18:24:20 UTC 2021

On 22/01/2021 00:31, Spike wrote:
> With masks in particular, data accumulates showing they don't really do much, if anything.  We are seeing plenty of evidence in Florida, comparing counties which require masks with those which do not.  It isn't at all clear they help slow infection rates.

Well, there's masks and there's masks. The word includes everything from
a closely-fitted medical mask with a filter that is probably pretty
effective, to a flimsy piece of cloth or paper with no seal at all with
the wearer's skin, which is completely ineffective. Not to mention that
if people have to be told to wear their masks around their noses as well
as their mouths, or "Don't wear your mask on your chin", you can be
pretty sure that a lot of them might as well not be wearing any mask at
all. I've stopped noticing the people wearing masks with big gaps
between their cheeks and the mask, but I'd say that probably most people
who wear them might as well not be.

Just as with statistics about deaths, statistics about masks are pretty
useless. At least as useless as the masks themselves, probably more.

--
Ben Zaiboc