[ExI] the science might be wrong

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 23:49:54 UTC 2021

On Sun, 24 Jan 2021 at 10:29, spike jones via extropy-chat <

> *From:* extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> *On Behalf
> Of *Stathis Papaioannou via extropy-chat
>
> BillW, here’s the right thing: if you have these conditions, don’t go
> anywhere near people.  Don’t let anyone come within 20 ft.  That 6 ft
> distancing business is baloney.  6 meters will get er dun however (see
> there, metric is your friend.)  You can arrange grocery delivery.  That’s
> what we did for my mother and my bride’s father, both of whom are older
> than you sir, and both in frail condition.
>

> Don’t depend on government: they can’t do it.
>

> >…But this means that some people will be effectively prisoners in their
> own homes for months if not years, whereas eliminating the virus will allow
> things to return to normal, or almost so…
>

> It is clear to me that we cannot eliminate this virus.  The efforts only
> were to keep the medical facilities from becoming overwhelmed until the
> vaccine was ready.  The vaccine is ready.  Then we discovered that the
> bottleneck for that isn’t manufacturing capacity, it is in getting enough
> proles to watch the recipients after they get their vaccination.  Result:
> California where we take liability law very seriously, is dead last in the
> nation for percentage of its populace vaccinated, while benighted West
> Virginia leads the nation.  Great to see West Virginia win something for a
> change, other than shooting competitions (we always win those but no one
> cares.)
>

> >…That is what occurred in the Australian state where I live… Stathis
> Papaioannou
>

> Australia and New Zealand have an advantage: a single government running
> the entire island.  In the rest of the world, borders are not entirely
> enforceable.  In the US, we aren’t seriously trying.  The US has an
> additional problem: there are no borders between jurisdictions on covid.
> State lines are not borders.  But the policy is set at the state level.

That’s the case fir New Zealand, but not Australia. Australia is a
federation, with the states coming together in 1901, based roughly on the
US model. The states have responsibility for such things as health care and
the criminal law; what is a crime in one state might not be a crime in
another state. There is normally free movement between states, but when
there were COVID-19 cases in some states but not others the various state
governments set up border restrictions, enforced by police. Apparently this
is all allowed by the Australian constitution, though it came as a surprise
to me. Currently, the only cases in Australia are in overseas visitors, who
are in hotel quarantine. It might still all fall apart since about once a
month there seems to breach in the quarantine system, though only once, in
Victoria, has this led to a significant outbreak.

> --
Stathis Papaioannou