[ExI] 30 Solutions to the Fermi Paradox

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 22:05:53 UTC 2021

On Sat, 20 Mar 2021 at 21:05, Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat

> I agree that someone has to be first, though it leads to asking why others didn’t get here first. The copernican principle (there’s nothing special about us, here and now, with regard to science) seems a good default position and requires (IMO) some explanation to set aside.
>
> That said, all the good observational evidence seems to lead to your conclusion. But that doesn’t explain why this is so.
>
> Regards,  Dan

Our galaxy is about 200,000 light years in diameter, so any other tech
civilisation is likely to be thousands of light years away.  We won't
be holding a conversation with them.

This would be obvious to every tech civilisation, so they won't waste
energy broadcasting. Communication will be direct beamed local
transmissions. Even just when communicating with Mars rovers, transmission
time takes between 4 and 20 minutes, depending on the planets orbital
position. Double that to get a response back.

Alpha Centauri, our nearest star system, has a 4.3 year transmission
time. So star systems have to be pretty well self-sufficient.

BillK