[ExI] Talk to GPT-3 via Philosopher AI website

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Sun May 2 22:59:25 UTC 2021

On May 2, 2021, at 2:34 PM, BillK via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2 May 2021 at 01:36, Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat
>> Yeah, almost. It’s confusing another form of relationalism though. Leibniz was taking the view that the objects exist, but that space and time don’t really or only have a secondary existence. I kind of agree with Lawrence Sklar (in his 1974 book _Space, Time and Spacetime_) here: Newton’s scholium kind of showed in classical physics that there’s something there. Maybe, though, not exactly what Newton thought. But the debate rages on… maybe rages isn’t an accurate way to put it. ;)
>> I merely wanted to test out the site with what I thought would be an easy if obscure subject.
>> Regards, Dan
>
> I've tried a few more times.  I think these tests make the point that GPT-3
> is not intelligent. It does not understand what it writes.
> It is searching through its (very large!) training data files and selecting
> and rewriting into sensible-sounding sentences. So replies are generally
> random associations of sentences that it links to each query.
> As shown by the wide variety of responses to substantivalism.
> It is a tremendous computing achievement, but I think it would be
> risky to treat it as an oracle of wisdom.

I was thinking about it during one of my perambulations as a sort of glorified ELIZA.

I also asked it What is exdurance? (Another example where I have some knowledge about it, so I can judge how well it does.) The result was worse than with substantivalism:

‘ Excursion is an out-of-body experience in which the soul of a person leaves their body and enters the spirit realm. A person under the influence of excursion typically enters a semi-conscious state and becomes susceptible to suggestion.

‘In the context of a religion, excursion is the state between life and death. In this state, the soul of a deceased person is judged by the god of that religion. If they are accepted into heaven, their afterlife will be pleasant. If they are rejected, they are reincarnated under some stricter circumstances. If they are cursed, they will live a miserable existence and eventually perish.’

This is a bit more obscure, but first page of googling reveals a decent article on the subject:

https://www.jstor.org/stable/25471891?seq=1

Regards,

Dan