[ExI] Pascals wager

Ben ben at zaiboc.net
Tue May 4 20:23:35 UTC 2021

On 04/05/2021 18:00, bill w wrote:
> atheism has no goals to offer people

Not so sure about that, either.

I'd call achieving an unblinkered, rational view of the world a goal. A
very worthy one, too.
I'd call combating the evils of religion in a non-violent way a worthy
goal as well.

Many atheists still have what I call a 'crypto-dualist' worldview, which
is betrayed in their language. They may say they have no beliefs in the
supernatural, but then say things which reveal some kind of conviction
that there is something non-natural about the mind, for instance. Look a
the number of atheists who can't take the final step to fully embrace
materialism, and as a consequence deny that uploading can work, for
instance ("it would 'only' be a copy!!").

I'd say that an important goal of atheism is to divest oneself of any
trace of non-materialism, to fully accept that the mind is a result of
physical processes, and all the consequences of that view. And yes, I
know how difficult that can be. For many people, atheism is just as much
a challenge as any religious path. But far more rewarding, in my view.

--
Ben Zaiboc