[ExI] Can philosophers produce scientific knowledge?

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Thu May 6 17:21:14 UTC 2021

Adrian - I am with you nearly all the way.  Psychology is certainly one of
the worst at creating jargon. But - sometimes there is an effort to take a
common concept and subject it to study.  If we use common definitions we
run a great risk of vagueness and ambiguity, and 'you know what I mean'.
So we create a jargon word and give it an operational definition to
separate it from the ambiguity of common definitions (and common people
will not understand operational definitions "You are defining intelligence
as that which is measured by an IQ test?  Isn't that completely
circular?").  Then people in our field will know what we mean by it, though
the average person will not.  So how do we translate the term so it can be
understood?  This can be difficult.  For example, 'ego' is used commonly to
mean 'pride', often overblown.  That is not the way psychiatrists and
psychologists use it.  Einstein was wrong:  there are just some things that
you cannot explain in any language to a six year old (or whatever age he
was using).

One problem is that psychologists get a big kick out of creating a term
that catches on, a meme.  I assume this is common in other science areas,
as well as the general culture.  But we will never get over the problem of
common words having ambiguous meanings, so we must continue to try to make
things more 'scientific'.

bill w

On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 11:50 AM Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat <