[ExI] Latest Search For Alien Civilizations Detects No Signals

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri May 7 10:33:25 UTC 2021

Latest Search For Alien Civilizations Looked At 60 Million Stars,
Detects No Signals

<https://www.iflscience.com/space/latest-search-for-alien-civilizations-looked-at-60-million-stars-detects-no-signals/>

Quotes:
The Breakthrough Listen project has delivered the first results of its
massive new SETI (search for extraterrestrial intelligence) survey in
search of alien civilizations. And when we say massive, we mean
massive. The observations looked at 60 million stars towards the
galactic center, a region where stars are more tightly packed.

The team did not find any signals, but it's important to note that
they were looking at purposely emitted signals, known as
technosignatures – optical or microwave signals, laser emissions, even
"megastructures" – in this search; some sort of alien beacon that says
“Hey, we are here!” or given the distances involved, “Hey, we were
here thousands of years ago!”

That's the snag - the distances involved. Thousands of years for light
speed travel. "Never" - for any short-lived species to visit.

BillK