[ExI] Optical illusion tricks you into seeing different colors

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu May 20 14:29:42 UTC 2021

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Mike Dougherty via extropy-chat

>…Hey now, tossing around 'infinity' in front of fellow math nerds... "dems fightin' words"

Ja.  All infinities were just lumped together and called infinity back in the olden days.  That was before we knew there are different brands of infinity, all of which are still infinite of course.  We started giving them names to define what kind of infinity.  I shouldn’t say “we” but rather “they” screwed it up with that aleph null, aleph one business.  Ick!  Why not stay with the semitic  abjet theme, call the infinities aleph, bet, gimel and so on.  I told Euler and his buddies, but did they listen?  Nooooo…

Hell we could be all the way up to waw by now (as if plain old aleph isn’t mind-blowing enough for ya) we could have a higher-order infinity that has a awesome sound to it: waw.

But Leonard and those lads can be stubborn bastards.  They think just because they discovered modern math that they know everything.

>> Ain’t math fun?

>…You use rigorously defined Math terms in a practically undefinable context like English to create cognitive dissonance.. aka fun…

Well sure.  But how do we know… everyone experiences fun the same?  We need some kind of objective measure, an instrument of some kind, to verify and quantize fun, so we can write a system of differential equations and model it.  Otherwise we won’t know how to program uploads to have fun.  We need to know how to define fun.

Sooner or later we will need to collectively figure out whatever qualia is about, or if not that particular term exactly, a concept one hell of a lot like it.