[ExI] Language

Ben ben at zaiboc.net
Fri May 21 18:28:34 UTC 2021

On 21/05/2021 18:50, Mike Dougherty wrote:
> Seriously though, language shapes how/what we think (and CAN think)
> and what we think is conveyed by language.  I know the vanguards of
> old ways refuse to accept language evolution.  I understand.  However,
> we need to continue evolution in language to keep up with evolution in
> thought.  I think this is oft-overlooked in transhumanist anti aging
> conversations.  Sure, we need to fix the physical breakdown of
> biology... but after that we might have effectively immortal
> old-thinking.  That is an interesting problem space to consider
> solutions.

There are two sides to this. Orwell showed us how important the concept
that 'language shapes what we can think' is to certain types of
government. Just because something is new doesn't mean it's always good,
and evolution can make things simpler and more restricted just as easily
as making them more complex and capable. Sometimes old-thinking is
free-thinking. And it's not just the obviously repressive regimes that
are keen on 'social engineering'.

--
Ben Zaiboc