[ExI] restoration-ready

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun May 23 18:50:36 UTC 2021

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
Sent: Sunday, May 23, 2021 11:30 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ExI] restoration-ready

>… rarely find a white-walled tire on a car.  What happened?

Disk brakes.  They are far more competent at actually stopping the car, and far safer because they aren’t nearly as likely to fade or fail catastrophically, but… they are metal (the disk) on metal composite (the pads.)  The pads are softer than the disk, and they vaporize, which causes that hard to clean filmy crud to appear on your rims.  You can put big showy whitewalls on your disk-brake car, but after about a week of around-town driving, they will be orange walls.

…

>… so don't tell me you can't afford $4…

But it is so annoyin’ to pay that much.

>…you old pinchpenny…

I resemble that comment!  I tend to think of myself as a late-youth pinchpenny.

>…  Yes, we both remember 25 cents a gallon, but then ribeyes cost that much way back when as well…

I didn’t eat ribeyes back in those days.  Lucky to get hamburger I was.  Randomly rearranging sentences for effect I am.

>…Freud, who may actually be right about this one, said that humans lost most of their sense of smell when they began to walk upright… Billw

Ja, but why is it so directly wired to our memories?  Grandma’s house for instance.  It had that fragrance my entire life.  Every time I went in there, even decades later, it evoked those memories, even though the visuals had changed.