[ExI] More LIGO events detected

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 10:09:08 UTC 2021

Astronomers Detect a 'Tsunami' of Gravitational Waves. Here's Where
They're Coming From

MICHELLE STARR      8 NOVEMBER 2021

<https://www.sciencealert.com/astronomers-have-detected-a-tsunami-of-gravitational-waves>

Quote:
"We've detected 35 events. That's massive! In contrast, we made three
detections in our first observing run, which lasted four months in
2015-16. This really is a new era for gravitational wave detections
and the growing population of discoveries is revealing so much
information about the life and death of stars throughout the
Universe."

Of the 35 new detections, 32 are most likely the result of mergers
between pairs of black holes. This is when pairs of black holes on a
close orbit are drawn in by mutual gravity, eventually colliding to
form one single, more massive black hole.