[ExI] Time Travel and FTL flight

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Thu Sep 2 21:13:49 UTC 2021

> On Thu, 2 Sept 2021 at 18:02, Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat
> <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org
> <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>> wrote:
> >
> <snip>
> > But clearly it is not time travel

So Adrian, are you saying that FTL flight wouldn't involve time-travel?

I thought that under certain circumstances it would (specifically FTL
travel to a location that was accelerating away at a significant rate
relative to the point of departure, then FTL return. I think). Or is
there no problem, and it's just the simple fact that nothing with mass
can travel at, or faster than, light-speed that stops us being able to
do it? (and tricks like Acubierre Drive, if it could exist, would work
without causing paradoxes)?

Ben