[ExI] Qualia are not in the matrix (was Re: The Matrix: Resurrections trailer)

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 01:04:58 UTC 2021

On Sat, Sep 11, 2021 at 5:55 PM Brent Allsop <brent.allsop at gmail.com> wrote:

> We do know that our redness and greenness, out of which our
> consciousness is composed, is not in the matrix.  Qualia are intrinsic
> qualities of something in all those brains, in all those vats, in the
> basement level physical reality.  They are not in the matrix.
>
> We'll I guess that IS a falsifiable claim, right Stathis?  The
> functionalists predicting that redness and greenness can arise (magically?)
> from anything "functioning" correctly.
> But until that is demonstrated (redness magically arising from some
> function, and we know which function!  SQRT?), I'm staying with assuming my
> qualia are intrinsic qualities of a basement level physical reality.

It is shown that each human plugged into the Matrix has a series of
physical plugs, through which stimuli are fed in.  They experience
simulated redness and greenness - which may well not be the same as actual
redness and greenness, but they have no way to know if they have never been
awake outside of the Matrix.