[ExI] New Bioscience Company Raises $15 Million to Revive Woolly Mammoth

Anton Sherwood bronto at pobox.com
Thu Sep 16 18:48:22 UTC 2021

On 2021-9-16 06:26, Dave Sill via extropy-chat wrote:
> Let's not be grammar nazis. We all knew what John meant.

I wrote the above not because John used the word (I'll usually let that
go) but because he defended that usage by someone else.

Yes, by all means let's use any old word that more or less resembles
what we mean, everyone will know what we mean.  We may as well say
"give" when we mean "take", because context will prevent any confusion,
right?  Until there's a context in which two different meanings will
fit, and we can't use words to distinguish between them because, hey, a
dictionary says it's just fine to use them in either sense.  Wouldn't
want to be stuffy or anything.

--
*\\*  Anton Sherwood  *\\*  www.bendwavy.org