[ExI] Hazards near your home

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Wed Sep 29 15:06:42 UTC 2021

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of
BillK via extropy-chat
Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2021 7:16 AM
To: Extropy Chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: BillK <pharos at gmail.com>
Subject: [ExI] Hazards near your home

Need more to worry about?
Are environmental hazards threatening your home? This website will show you.

>...AreaHub quantifies all the risks near you, from nuclear reactors to
fracking wells to Superfund sites to how many extreme weather events like
hurricanes, severe floods, or tornadoes have occurred there in recent years.
There is also a page on wildfires.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90681175/are-there-environmental-hazards-threate
ning-your-home-this-website-will-show-you

<https://areahub.com>

BillK

Hi BillK,

The list of risks includes nuclear reactors.  Currently about 9% of
California's power is nuclear, but the Diablo Canyon reactor is approaching
retirement, which will mean that 9% hasta come from somewhere, perhaps
imported from coal powered plants.  We have had rolling blackouts, which
have a negative impact on air quality, as Diesel generators must be fired up
and the natural gas peaker plants have their heyday.  People will have
electric power, regardless.  I have a gasoline powered generator, which can
carry the load for everything except HVAC.

Nuke plants may be hazardous and create radioactive waste, but at least they
are clean and safe for the environment.