[ExI] gofundme question

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Feb 10 01:57:29 UTC 2022

...> On Behalf Of BillK via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] gofundme question

On Wed, 9 Feb 2022 at 23:49, spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:

> BillK, if they can freeze funds to the intended recipient, and instead donate it to a charity of their choice, that is exactly equivalent to keeping the money.  Looks to me that is what they did.
>
> spike

I don't think your interpretation is quite correct....

BillK

The exact GoFundMe statement is --
The update we issued earlier (below) enabled all donors to get a refund and outlined a plan to distribute remaining funds to verified charities selected by the Freedom Convoy organizers. However, due to donor feedback, we are simplifying the process. We will automatically refund all contributions directly — donors do not need to submit a request. You can expect to see your refund within 7–10 business days.
---------

Thanks BillK.

This entire episode did enormous damage to Gofundme, even if they acted according to their own mission statement.  The Canadian government took an even bigger hit.  It certainly raised awareness in my eyes: if the government pisses off truckers, there is big trouble to be had.  All they need to do is stock up on supplies, fill those fuel tanks, go get in the way somewhere.  Those trucks can idle for two weeks day and night on a full tank of fuel.  Cities cannot go two weeks without supplies.

Lesson learned: don't piss off truckers.  If they say they don't want or need vaccinations, listen to their reasoning, which is perfectly sound: for their lifestyle, it is higher risk than payoff.  They don't want to risk feeling lousy for a day or two (as plenty of us did or know someone who did after taking that vaccine) they sit alone all day in their cabs, they live in the trucks when they are on the road, they don't want to interact much with people which is part of why they chose that lifestyle to start with.