[ExI] chinese fires, was:RE: book review

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 16:16:31 UTC 2022

On Thu, 1 Dec 2022 at 02:34, spike jones via extropy-chat <

> From: spike at rainier66.com <spike at rainier66.com>
> Subject: RE: [ExI] chinese fires, was:RE: book review
>

> From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
> <mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> > On Behalf Of Stathis …
>

> >…Nevertheless, the central regime could decide to slacken off. Masks
> everywhere but no lockdowns unless the hospital ICU’s are 90% full, or
> something. That’s all they can do now that there are 40,000 cases a day,
> they can’t stop it. But they are heavily invested in a zero COVID policy
> which - correctly for the original strain - they claim they managed due to
> ter superior system… Stathis

> Clearly their system isn’t working.  I suppose that would depend on how one
> defines the term “working.”  If one is Chinese and gets feeling the
> symptoms, the best strategy might be to just keep a low profile for a
> coupla
> weeks, send out word the patient went on a pilgrimage to the grave of Karl
> Marx or John Lennon something, recover quietly in his apartment and hope no
> one finds out.

It’s the classic way of dealing with an epidemic. It’s how the original
SARS was stopped. It’s what they should have done as aggressively as
possible, but didn’t, at the start in Wuhan. The two problems now are that
it isn’t working because the infectivity of the current strain is too high
and, on a cost - benefit analysis, the cost of the ongoing lockdowns is too
high.

> --
Stathis Papaioannou