[ExI] all we are is just llms was: RE: e: GPT-4 on its inability to solve the symbol grounding problem

efc at swisscows.email efc at swisscows.email
Fri Apr 21 10:01:56 UTC 2023

On Thu, 20 Apr 2023, spike jones via extropy-chat wrote:

> However… I have come to realize that we can have human level general intelligence without actual human level consciousness.  This is
> not AGI hating at all, but rather a realization that consciousness and intelligence are concepts way more difficult to define than I
> had previously thought.  I once believed I fully understood what those terms mean, but now I realize they are far more subtle than I

I agree. I think the consciousness continuum makes sense. But it does
make you wonder... perhaps we do not yet have the language of
consciousness and that is why we are just going in circles. Imagine
coming up with a new language for discussing it, and then the knots will
finally be loosened.

Wishful thinkning, I know. Hmm, ahh... reminds me of this short story
Story of your life which becane "Arrival" but in that case it was a
language for time and not consciousness.