[ExI] teachers

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Sat Aug 26 21:24:18 UTC 2023

On 2023-08-25 23:50, Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat wrote:
> On 25/08/2023 20:11, Darin Sunley wrote:
>>
>> An important component of what a lot of people want out of immortality
>> is not so much continuity as it is not-experiencing-discontinuity [And
>> no, they're not the same thing].

I do not think it is possible to subjectively experience discontinuity.
For example, I do not experience any passage of time between when I
decide to surrender to anesthesia and when I wake up from it. Death is
no different.

>> If I'm dying of cancer, and you do a brain scan, the resulting upload
>> will remember being me, but /I'm/ still gonna experience a painful
>> death. And no, killing me painlessly, or even instantaneously, during
>> or in the immediate aftermath of the brain scan doesn't solve the
>> problem either.

 From the point of view of the new you, that wants access to your bank
account, instantaneously killing you would definitely solve the problem.

>> If "me" is ever on two substrates simultaneously, you may have copied
>> me, but you haven't moved me, and a copy, by definition, isn't the me
>> I want to be immortal.

If your material pattern is sufficient to be you, then you are already
immortal and there are already universes out there where you are the
last surviving life form or even a Boltzmann brain quantum mechanically
summoned into existence to witness the heat death of the universe.

> So this 'me' that you are talking about, must be something that, when
> copied, somehow changes into 'not-me'. I don't understand this. If it's
> an exact copy, how is it not exactly the same? How can there not now be
> two 'me's? Two identical beings, in every way, including their
> subjective experience, with no discontinuity with the original singular
> being?

Again, your position  and momentum in space are properties of yours.
Since you are constructed of fermions, Pauli's exclusion principle
prevents another you from having the same position and momentum as you
do. If you could somehow write your pattern to a Bose-Einstein
condensate, then you could have copies of you that were all truly you.

> When I hit 'send' on this message, everyone on the list will get a
> copy, and I will keep a copy. Which one is the real message? If they
> were conscious, why would that make any difference?

The real message is the one that has the most meaning to you in a given
context. A child calling for help in the jungle is sending a message
that means something completely different to his parents than to the
hungry tiger. Every message is composed of symbols that have differing
degrees of correlation between the sender and the recipient. The meaning
conveyed by the sender is the purport, the meaning understood by the
recipient is the import.

> You say "you may have copied me, but you haven't moved me". But how do
> you move data? You make a second copy of it then delete the first copy.
> So destroying copy 1 when copy 2 is made would be 'moving me', yet you
> say it wouldn't. Can you clarify why? I can't see (short of a belief in
> an uncopyable supernatural 'soul') how this could be.

Lagrangian and quantum mechanics says that particles have two main
kinematic properties: position and momentum. By virtues of the molecules
that comprise your body, you have a position. Your position is a
property of you, unless you postulate that you have a soul property that
somehow magically makes all the copies of you the same person. Identical
twins are not the same person and neither would a perfect copy of you
be. The position and momentum of all the instances of you would be
unique, and therefore not you. If you believe that a copy of you can
truly be you, then you can relax because you are already immortal. You
don't need to copy yourself because there are already plenty of, if not
infinite numbers of, you strewn about the multiverse.

Stuart LaForge