[ExI] pre-singularity blues

efc at swisscows.email efc at swisscows.email
Mon Dec 4 14:32:34 UTC 2023

Hello spike,

As a teacher, let me add my experience about this to the thread. I teach
IT at vocational schools (1.5 year long program that sits between high
school and university complexity/content wise) and the students are
affected in this way as far as I can see:

* The best students don't care. They have discovered a new passion in life
and get enormous pleasure out of understanding the concepts and building
things themselves.

GPT might be used as an aide, but generally less than expected, since the
students actually enjoy figuring things out.

* The worst students have become even worse. They are not motivated from
the start, and some cheated on the entrance exam with chat gpt, and
thought they'd be able to chat gpt their way through the program (not
possible the way I teach) and when forced to think for themselves, and
when I grow tired of answering the same question (where is the arrow key,
or what does the "cd" command do in linux) for the 5:th time, it is plain
to everyone, including themselves, that the program is not the right place
for them.

* The average students... here it gets complicated! You have some who
become brilliant students, and you have some who go through the motions
and who might rely too much on gpt, but are good enough to hide it, but
you do get suspicious but you cannot quite prove it (or rather, not
justify wasting the time to prove it), so here I don't know actually.

In terms of skills, the companies who are involved in developing the
curriculum are all pretty much in agreement that what they want are
passionate young people with a knack for problem solving. They don't want
gpt warriors and prompt writers, since those tasks are already on their
way to get automated.

So that's what I'm seeing from the educational trenches.

Best regards,
Daniel