[ExI] Could the Universe Be Finite?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 11:40:02 UTC 2023

It’s not absurd to think the universe might have an edge.
By Eric Schwitzgebel & Jacob Barandes    December 15, 2023

On recent estimates, the observable universe—the portion of the
universe that we can detect through our telescopes—extends about 47
billion light-years in every direction. But the limit of what we can
see is one thing, and the limit of what exists is quite another.

<https://nautil.us/could-the-universe-be-finite-466593/>
Quote:
Leading cosmologists, including Alex Vilenkin, Max Tegmark, and Andrei
Linde, have argued that spatial infinitude is the natural consequence
of the best current theories of cosmic inflation. Given that, plus the
absence of evidence for an edge or closed topology, infinitude seems a
reasonable default view. The mere 47 billion light-years we can see is
the tiniest speck of a smidgen of a drop in an endless expanse.