[ExI] Could the Universe Be Finite?

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 19:54:00 UTC 2023

On Sat, Dec 16, 2023 at 11:03 AM Jason Resch via extropy-chat

> On Sat, Dec 16, 2023 at 1:51 PM Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Finite or infinite, I can't see any practical application
>
> Perhaps there are no applications, but there are implications of living in an infinite reality:

If what we are seeing at Tabby's Star is alien data centers 400 times
the area of the Earth, then chances are we will not live in the base
reality.  It's really weird.  The physical constraints on these things
include orbital mechanics, energy/thermal balance and I think most
importantly the size of the structures is limited by the speed of
light.

A lot of these subjects such as uploading and computing in space using
solar energy were discussed on the early extropian list.  But I never
expected to see an example.

Keith

Keith