[ExI] Home smart speakers could report crimes or violence

efc at swisscows.email efc at swisscows.email
Fri Dec 22 09:22:28 UTC 2023

Good morning spike,

On Thu, 21 Dec 2023, spike jones via extropy-chat wrote:

> Well not really Daniel.  In our times we have witnessed a transition to
> lawsuit rather than prison.  Prisons cost money.  Lawsuits transfer money.
> The kinds of cases that matter are  the ones where people are sued for
> millions over what they say.

Hmm, well, if we assume automated courts, and automated transfers from
peoples bank accounts, I can think of no better way in order to enable
the shift to crypto currencies and cash in record speed.

After that, you would still have to have people running around actually
forcing other people to part with their money.

But to challenge myself, we'll then assume that cash is made illegal,
and no official physical currency will be produced. In that case, I
could see a black economy using some other countries currency, or
crypto. So society would split in two. The official where everyone is
guilty of a crime and can be potentially charged, and hte unofficial
being run on imported cash or crypto.

I guess my claim is that if too many resources of a society is used for
enforcement, punishment and administration, too little resources will be
left for productive work, and standards of living will fall. In theory,
low enough standards of living could spark a revolution, but I do admit
that it seems exceptionally rare, so I imagine it would have to be
"starvation and dead bodies in the streets"-levels of starvation before
the population feel that they have nothing to lose by their revolution.

Best regards,
Daniel