[ExI] How fun could doom intelligent life to a blissful extinction

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 00:13:32 UTC 2023

On Thu, Jul 20, 2023 at 12:06 PM BillK via extropy-chat

snip

> The problem is the changeover time.

Bill, I don't think you are thinking this through either

There is no reason to think the replication time of the stuff at the
bottom of the nanotech world will take more than 20 minutes to
replicate.  Even if Drexler was off by 1000 times, the replication is
still very short by human standards.

> We are not just talking about Fred and Wilma in Seattle.
>
> For countries with nanotech it could help to address the challenges
> such as resource depletion and environmental degradation. On the other
> hand, it could lead to a widening gap between rich and poor countries,
> as those with access to nanotech could reduce their populations while
> those without would continue to grow.

The cost of nanotech stuff is as close to zero as you want to make it.
There is no reason that nanotech would not spread worldwide almost at
once.

The Clinic Seed story had a foundation distributing clinics to every
village in Africa.

When the cost of something falls to near zero, expect people to be generous.

Keith