[ExI] bots replacing humans...

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 18:27:43 UTC 2023

On Thu, Jun 1, 2023 at 11:20 AM spike jones via extropy-chat <

> *…*> *On Behalf Of *William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
> *Subject:* Re: [ExI] bots replacing humans...
>
> >…  And, how do people assess the dangers of bots if they aren't tech
> people?    bill w
>

> We can’t.  The tech people can’t either.  We are sailing uncharted waters
> here.

One might hope that municipal water systems are very well charted, as are
their potential failure modes - not specifically from bots, but from any
sort of operator error.  Unless there is some new sort of control system
involved (Spike, you'd know about control systems, right?), it does not
look like bots would be capable of any physical actions that humans are not
capable of.  (Human operators can do things bots can't, but that's not the
concern here.)  So, just pull up the database of ways these control systems
can mess up, and guard against those - even if those systems do have a new
type of operator.

> management is liable for what the employees say, but not for software they
> offers as a substitute

Wouldn't the scope of liability go the other way?  If some employee does
bad things, that employee might possibly be sacrificed to appease law
enforcement.  If property of the company does bad things with no human
clearly responsible, liability goes directly to the company - and if the
company can't pay up, potentially to its ownership and/or management
personally (keyphrase: "breach the corporate veil").