[ExI] Thoughts on AI engineers

efc at swisscows.email efc at swisscows.email
Fri Jun 2 17:01:57 UTC 2023

On Thu, 1 Jun 2023, Keith Henson via extropy-chat wrote:

> We're at a point where there are groups of people in the world who are
> crafting the next mega-corporations.  We don't know who they are, we
> don't know their intent, nor do we understand their moral compass.
> That is just fucking terrifying, based on the aggregate actions of
> humanity.  The only small hope is that geeks tend to be of high moral

Well, we've had the capability to destroy the planet for a long time,
and so far, despite all the dictators and crazy people in positions of
power, we have not done it. So to me, that proves that there's more good
than bad in humanity, on the balance.

> Since now you can offload all of your competent talent to
> jurisdictions with no regulation.

The problem is that in order to grow to that size, you need global
reach, and more regulated countries tend to not allow you to do business
from/to completely unregulated countries.

Best regards,
Daniel