[ExI] Fwd: [AR] Planned FAA LOX-Methane Safety Studies?

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 04:15:58 UTC 2023

You might be amused by this post.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Jun 6, 2023 at 8:57 PM
Subject: [AR] Planned FAA LOX-Methane Safety Studies?
To: <arocket at freelists.org>

On Tue, May 23, 2023 at 6:06 PM Henry Vanderbilt
<hvanderbilt at mindspring.com> wrote:

> Anyone know anything more about this?  Something we've discussed around
> here occasionally.  Looks like FAA (later also a NASA/Space Force
> followon) is planning a drop-test program to get more data on
> appropriate explosive-equivalence assumptions for LOX-LCH4 rocket safety
> planning.

The FAA is concerned about the effects of mixed LNG and LOX, unlikely
as it is that the common bulkhead could fail.

The day after this post, I woke up musing about the recent postings on a-rocket.

The FAA concern is bulkhead failure, intimate mixing of the liquid
methane and LOX, and a shock to make a big boom.

Burning on contact makes a heck of a fire, but no shock wave.

I thought up a passive, low-cost, and reliable way; to assure a fire
rather than mixing.  Put an open container of triethylaluminum in the
top of the liquid methane tank.  "It is one of the few substances
sufficiently pyrophoric to ignite on contact with cryogenic liquid
oxygen." (Wikipedia). Waited till the check to the patent office
cleared before posting this.

Wanted to run it by Henry Spencer before trying to find a way to get
the idea to SpaceX or the FAA.

Keith