[ExI] India and the periodic table

efc at swisscows.email efc at swisscows.email
Fri Jun 9 21:40:59 UTC 2023

Hello Ben,

On Fri, 9 Jun 2023, Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat wrote:

> On 09/06/2023 16:43, spike wrote:
>> Teachers, don't get
>> tangled up in culture wars.  Teach students what students come there to
>> learn.  Don't try to make little political activists out of them.  You get
>> fired doing that.  Simple.
>
> like Catcher in the Rye, you're in trouble. You can't avoid the culture wars,
> except by resigning. Even the sciences aren't exempt from this. Teach biology

Why?

> and you have to either mention evolution or avoid it, you have to either
> explain that a fertilised egg is not a person or not, you have to talk about
> X and Y chromosomes or avoid the whole subject of biological sex. Either

X, Y chromosomes and biological sexes and evolution are facts or the
currently best know explanation supported by science and experiment. Why
wouldn't you mention it? It has nothing to do with culture.

> choice is picking a side in the culture wars. You can't be impartial. You
> either teach, and fall foul of 'woke' ideology with all the consequences, or
> you fail to teach and leave the kids in ignorance.

If you believe X, and someone else believes Y, I can choose to not
believe in either or take either side. Of course X can define not X as
Y, but that is just plain silly.

The best course of action is to refuse to take a side, refuse to
acknowledge the definition of not X = Y, and get on with science.

Of course you have all the right in the world to believe that I'm Y by
being not X, but I do not have to accept that.

> I don't really see how business is going to be any better, either. You either
> avoid showing minorities in your advertising and branding or you don't.
> You're damned either way.

Or you just show what ever people you want and refuse to play the game.
If you engage, _then_, you lost. By just sticking with science and
rationality, you will solve the problem in the long term. No amount of
culture war and wokeness can beat natural laws.