[ExI] (no subject)

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 20:34:35 UTC 2023

On Sun, 18 Jun 2023 at 19:36, Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat

> On Sun, Jun 18, 2023 at 9:42 AM Gadersd via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
>>
>> > Strictly speaking, Space is expanding between
>> > *gravitationally unbound* celestial bodies.
>> > <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expansion_of_the_universe>
>>
>> Yes, gravity is the contraction of space.
>

> Might there be ways to create more of it, enough to actively counter the expansion of space?  Could distant galaxies be pulled back so they never leave our lightcone?

Probably not. The expansion of space is the remains of the initial
inflation that created the universe.
The Big Crunch theory suggested that the total gravity of the universe
contents might slow, then stop, then reverse the expansion of the
universe and lead to the universe collapsing inward back to a
singularity.
But the discovery that the expansion is accelerating means that
gravity is not sufficient to do this.
So you would have to find a force greater than the total mass of the universe.
That would be a neat trick. Probably worth a Nobel Prize.  :)

BillK