[ExI] Patent search was [AR] Planned FAA LOX-Methane Safety Studies?

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 16:40:18 UTC 2023

>From below (a post on the a-rocket list)

> Anyone know anything more about this?  Something we've discussed around
> here occasionally.  Looks like FAA (later also a NASA/Space Force
> followon) is planning a drop-test program to get more data on
> appropriate explosive-equivalence assumptions for LOX-LCH4 rocket safety
> planning.

The FAA is concerned about the effects of mixed LNG and LOX, unlikely
as it is that the common bulkhead could fail.

The day after this post, I woke up musing about the recent postings on a-rocket.

The FAA concern is bulkhead failure, intimate mixing of the liquid
methane and LOX, and a shock to make a big boom.

Burning on contact makes a heck of a fire, but no shock wave.

I thought up a passive, low-cost, and reliable way; to assure a fire
rather than mixing.  Put an open container of triethylaluminum in the
top of the liquid methane tank.  "It is one of the few substances
sufficiently pyrophoric to ignite on contact with cryogenic liquid
oxygen." (Wikipedia). Waited till the check to the patent office
cleared before posting this.

(SpaceX will have to put the LNG tank below the LOX tank, but they had
it this way earlier.)

Of course, the problem with filing a patent is that you might not have
been the first to think of the concept.  That takes an expensive
search.  If anyone here knows of something similar where there is a
method to start a fire to avoid an explosion, I would sure like to
hear of it.  It might save me a bucket of money.

Keith

(below)