[ExI] morality

Tara Maya tara at taramayastales.com
Sat May 20 05:14:50 UTC 2023

Part of letting people learn from their mistakes includes learning from others' mistakes. I believe that the longer a society is free, the more people with in develop an ethic of personal responsibility (and mutual trust). However, when people are "rescued" from their mistakes, what others learn is that it's fine to live irresponsibly, because someone else will bear the cost and so the irresponsible behavior spreads.

But the costs of the irresponsible behavior can only be delayed for so long.

Generations may pass, which seems a long time to an individual, but that's how long it takes to change an entire a culture. It's also why cultures that had a long history of freedom which they are slowly squeezing to death don't immediately collapse, and cultures with a long history of no freedom which start to do everything right still suffer from the accumulated woes of past generations till working their revenge upon the present.

Tara Maya