[ExI] reuter's take on altman

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 00:10:08 UTC 2023

On Fri, 24 Nov 2023 at 22:29, William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <

> When they start installing motivation in the AIs, my suggestion is
> that the AIs be motivated to seek the good opinion of humans and other
> AIs alike.  keith
>
> Which humans will be a gigantic problem.  bill w

I asked several AIs for an opinion. Responses were very similar.

Question -
Why are countries racing to be the first to create AGI?

Answer -
Countries are racing to be the first to create Artificial General
Intelligence (AGI) due to several reasons:

1. Economic Dominance: AGI has the potential to revolutionize industries
and drive significant economic growth. The country that achieves AGI first
may gain a competitive advantage, attracting global investments, fostering
innovation, and generating high-skilled job opportunities. It can lead to
technological leadership, increased productivity, and enhanced economic
dominance in the global market.

2. National Security: AGI has implications for national security and
defense. It could be used in various military applications, such as
autonomous weapons systems, cybersecurity, and intelligence gathering.
Countries aim to develop AGI to ensure their defense capabilities remain
strong and to prevent adversaries from gaining a strategic advantage in
AI-powered warfare.

3. Technological Supremacy: AGI development requires advancements in
various fields, such as machine learning, robotics, and computer vision.
Countries recognize that being at the forefront of AGI research and
development allows them to push the boundaries of technological innovation.
It helps in attracting top talent, fostering collaborations, and
establishing themselves as leaders in the AI and AGI space.

4. Societal Impact: AGI has the potential to solve complex societal
challenges, such as climate change, healthcare, poverty, and resource
management. Countries are motivated to develop AGI to address these issues
effectively, improve the quality of life for their citizens, and maintain
social stability. The first country to harness AGI's potential can shape
its deployment and ensure it aligns with their national priorities.

5. Ethical Considerations: AGI development raises ethical concerns, such as
the impact on employment, privacy, and fairness. Countries racing to
develop AGI aim to establish frameworks and regulations that govern its
responsible use. By being at the forefront of AGI development, countries
can influence the ethical standards and ensure that AGI is developed and
deployed in a manner that aligns with their values and societal goals.

Additionally, there are fears that the race may be won by malevolent
groups, such as terrorist organizations or states, which could misuse AGI
against humanity or monopolize its benefits for themselves.

The race for AGI is also driven by long-term geopolitical competition
between liberal democracies and authoritarian countries, fueling an arms
race to develop and control AGI, as the first country to successfully
deploy it would have significant advantages in every scientific and
economic activity across almost all industries.

This competition is pushing governments to support the development of AGI
in their country first, as the technology will likely reflect the values of
the inventor and set the standards for future applications.

That seems to cover the problem quite well.  It is a 'winner takes all'
situation.

BillK