[ExI] Are transhumanists becoming the bad guys?

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Thu Nov 30 16:46:34 UTC 2023

On 29/11/2023 22:51, efc at swisscows wrote:
> Hello list,
>

> The other day I was listening to a conspiracy pod and all of a sudden, I
> heard a medium talk about how the transhumanists want to
>
> eradicate all spiritual values and merge humanity with the machine.
>

> In my own home cooked transhumanist version, transhumanists are
> optimistic, life affirming people who are solving problems with
>
> science and technology.
>

> So when did transhumanists start to become the bad guys in conspiracy
> circles? Did anyone of you encounter this in real life or in
>
> virtual life?
>

> Curious shift in narrative that completely passed me by and caught me by
> surprise.

Transhumanists have been painted as the bad guys for ages. Since before
even Francis Fukuyama and Bill Joy. The evil (or at least misguided) mad
scientist (played by John Hannah) in 'Agents of Shield' was supposed to
be a transhumanist. And of course just about every religion that ever
existed is going to be opposed to a world-view that's based on
materialism, promotes rationality, tolerance and freedom of choice, and
challenges superstition.

Ben