[ExI] quote of the day

efc at swisscows.email efc at swisscows.email
Fri Oct 6 11:10:28 UTC 2023

Hello Gadersd,

On Thu, 5 Oct 2023, Gadersd via extropy-chat wrote:

> laws and governments remains to permit this option. I dread a future
> in which centralization has the whole of humanity trapped within a
> singular regime. I am not sure how AI will change the competitive

I agree. This is one of my biggest fears as well. If we look at humanity
at large, it does look as if there is a historical trend of ever greater
consolidation and centralization. From families on the savannah, to
tribes, to cities, to city states, to many countries and kingdoms and
today to the 200:ish countries we have.

If the trend continues, and once there is a world government in place,
there will be no place to run in case of corruption or malfunctioning of
the system.

Makes one wonder if that in turn, will generate a future like in The
Expanse or The moon is a harsh mistress, where we expand outwards away
from the centralized tyrrany and if the colonies will once again break
free, to then start the cycle of centralization again?

Or will we end up in a utopian Star trek universe where all is good and
everything is post scarcity, despite the centralized governing function?

Best regards,
Daniel