[ExI] People are speaking with ChatGPT for hours

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 18:46:46 UTC 2023

People are speaking with ChatGPT for hours, bringing 2013’s Her closer
to reality
Long mobile conversations with the AI assistant using AirPods echo the
sci-fi film.
Benj Edwards - 10/27/2023

<https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2023/10/people-are-speaking-with-chatgpt-for-hours-bringing-2013s-her-closer-to-reality/>

Quotes:
In 2013, Spike Jonze's Her imagined a world where humans form deep
emotional connections with AI, challenging perceptions of love and
loneliness. Ten years later, thanks to ChatGPT's recently added voice
features, people are playing out a small slice of Her in reality,
having hours-long discussions with the AI assistant on the go.

Throughout the past year, we've seen reports of people falling in love
with chatbots hosted by Replika, which allows a more personal
simulation of a human than ChatGPT. And with uncensored AI models on
the rise, it's conceivable that someone will eventually create a voice
interface as capable as ChatGPT's and begin having deeper
relationships with simulated people.

Are we on the brink of a future where our emotional well-being becomes
entwined with AI companionship? The psychological implications of such
deep connections, especially in the absence of human interaction, are
yet to be fully understood.