[ExI] US to Build Robot Army to Counter China's Growing Power

Henry Rivera hrivera at alumni.virginia.edu
Fri Sep 1 19:31:29 UTC 2023

I agree, it’s just a matter of time before they would have to be fully autonomous, if for no other reason to respond to enemy threats of the same, which would have the advantage of time due to not needing human intervention as you noted. The issue may come down to public support for that aka trust. I suspect obtaining public trust will be stalled on as long as possible, and there is unlikely to be a consensus. Assurances regarding kill switches, overrides, failsafes and the like will be necessary in that PR campaign. “Friendly fire” from our own autonomous units due to malfunction, poor programming, or hacking would be a nightmare.

-Henry