[ExI] teachers

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 11:00:00 UTC 2023

On Sat, 16 Sept 2023 at 06:11, Jason Resch via extropy-chat

<huge snip !!!>

> That's just it, I am saying I am not aware of anyone even attempting to explain quantum computer not relying on MW.
> If you have seen these, please share them.

I've looked at what various AIs have to say about this claim.
They all seem to say that 'rely on MWI' is too strong a claim.
The most common view on building a quantum computer seems to be the
famous "Shut up and calculate!" attitude. :)

BillK

Question - Do quantum computers rely on MWI?

Reply -
Quantum computers do not necessarily rely on the Many-Worlds
Interpretation (MWI) of quantum mechanics. The MWI is just one
interpretation among several that attempt to explain the behavior of
quantum systems. While it is a popular and intriguing interpretation,
it is not a fundamental requirement for the functioning of quantum
computers.

Quantum computers are based on the principles of quantum mechanics,
which describe the behavior of particles at the microscopic level.
These principles include superposition, entanglement, and
interference, which allow quantum computers to perform certain
calculations more efficiently than classical computers.

Superposition is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that
allows particles to exist in multiple states simultaneously. In the
context of quantum computing, this means that a qubit (the basic unit
of information in a quantum computer) can be in a superposition of
both 0 and 1 at the same time. This property enables quantum computers
to perform computations in parallel, potentially leading to
exponential speedup for certain algorithms.

Entanglement is another key feature of quantum mechanics that allows
two or more particles to become correlated in such a way that the
state of one particle cannot be described independently of the others.
This property is exploited in quantum computing to create highly
interconnected systems of qubits, enabling complex computations to be
performed.

Interference is a phenomenon that occurs when two or more quantum
states overlap and interfere with each other. It leads to constructive
or destructive interference, depending on the relative phases of the
states involved. Quantum algorithms take advantage of interference
effects to enhance computation efficiency.

While these principles form the foundation of quantum computing, they
do not depend on any specific interpretation of quantum mechanics,
including the MWI. The MWI proposes that every possible outcome of a
measurement exists in a separate branch or "world," resulting in a
multitude of parallel universes. However, this interpretation is still
a subject of debate among physicists and philosophers, and its
validity has not been conclusively proven.

Quantum computers can be built and operated without explicitly
assuming the truth of the MWI or any other interpretation. The focus
is on harnessing the unique properties of quantum systems to perform
computations, rather than on the philosophical implications of
different interpretations.

In conclusion, quantum computers do not rely on the Many-Worlds
Interpretation (MWI) or any specific interpretation of quantum
mechanics. They are based on the principles of superposition,
entanglement, and interference, which are fundamental to quantum
mechanics. While the MWI is an intriguing interpretation, it is not a
necessary requirement for the functioning of quantum computers.