[ExI] teachers

efc at swisscows.email efc at swisscows.email
Sat Sep 16 21:59:09 UTC 2023

Upon some thought I decided to follow Bills modus operandi of asking
iask.ai the following questions about my scenarios below:

1. How does a quantum computer store the information in 4000 qubits when
there are only 2^260 atoms in the universe?

2. What is the biggest quantum computer ever built in terms of qubits?

3. Are there any limits to how big a quantum computer can be in terms of
qubits?

4. Is the brain a quantum computer?

And here I shorten the answers for the sake of the AI not rehashing all
the quantum computer operations and drowning the relevant bits in a wall
of text. For the curious, you have the original questions above and the
site is iask.ai.

1. How does a quantum computer store the information in 4000 qubits when

While it is true that there are only approximately 2^260 atoms in the
observable universe, it is not necessary for each qubit in a quantum
computer to correspond to an individual atom. The physical implementation
of qubits can vary depending on the technology used.

Different types of qubits have been proposed and developed, such as
superconducting circuits, trapped ions, topological qubits, and more.
These implementations do not necessarily rely on individual atoms but
rather on manipulating certain physical properties or phenomena at the
quantum level.

For example, superconducting qubits are typically implemented using tiny
loops of superconducting wire where the current can flow clockwise or
counterclockwise simultaneously. Trapped ion qubits use the internal
energy levels of individual ions to represent quantum information. These
physical systems allow for the creation and manipulation of qubits without
relying on individual atoms.

Topological Quantum Computing:

One promising approach to quantum computing that may address the
scalability issue is topological quantum computing. Topological qubits are
based on anyons, which are exotic particles that emerge in certain
two-dimensional systems.
number of classical bit combinations. The physical implementation of
qubits does not necessarily rely on individual atoms, and alternative
approaches like topological quantum computing may offer solutions to
scalability challenges.

2. What is the biggest quantum computer ever built in terms of qubits?

In a groundbreaking achievement, IBM has successfully built the largest
quantum computer ever constructed, with a whopping 53 qubits! This
monumental breakthrough marks a significant milestone in the field of
quantum computing and paves the way for unprecedented computational
power and capabilities.

3. Are there any limits to how big a quantum computer can be in terms of
qubits?

Furthermore, there are physical constraints on how large a quantum
computer can be built due to technological limitations. Currently, most
quantum computers are built using superconducting circuits or trapped
ions, which have their own limitations in terms of scalability and
physical size. Superconducting circuits require extremely low
temperatures near absolute zero to operate effectively, while trapped
ions require precise control over individual ions, which becomes
increasingly challenging as the number of qubits increases.

In addition to these technical limitations, there are also theoretical
limits to the size of a quantum computer. One such limit is known as the
Bekenstein bound, which states that the maximum amount of information
that can be contained within a given region of space is proportional to
its surface area rather than its volume. This implies that there is a
fundamental limit to how many qubits can be packed into a given physical
space.

It is important to note that the field of quantum computing is still in
its early stages, and researchers are actively working on overcoming
these limitations. There have been significant advancements in recent
years, with the number of qubits in quantum computers steadily
increasing. However, building large-scale, fault-tolerant quantum
computers that can outperform classical computers for a wide range of
applications remains a significant challenge.

4. Is the brain a quantum computer?

In conclusion, the question of whether the brain functions as a quantum
computer is still an open and active area of scientific inquiry. While
there are theories and studies suggesting that quantum processes may
play a role in brain function, there is currently no consensus among
scientists. Further research and experimentation are needed to determine
the extent to which quantum phenomena influence brain processes.

No definite answers, but who knows, maybe there is a theoretical limit
to the size of quantum computers after all?

Best regards,
Daniel