[ExI] Ignemus lucem aeternam

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 05:53:31 UTC 2023

In between vegging out on YouTube today I was idly cogitating on the state
of cryonics in the US and I was struck by the following statistic - out of
3x10e8 Americans there may be around 3 - 4 thousand who are signed up.
Let's say that's one in a hundred thousand.

Let that sink in - cryonics is a highly scientifically plausible way to
avoid dying for a really, really long time, which is easily available to
all but the poorest of the poor Americans and yet only 1 person in 100,000
intends to use it.

What the holy fuck?

One person in a hundred thousand wants to live to see the future and there
will be a lot to see in the future. Telescopes as large as galaxies.
Quasars remade into particle accelerators to probe the Planck scale. Oracle
AIs whose thoughts will span billions of years. Negentropy driven infinite
self-propagating thought substate.

Ninety-nine thousand nine hundred ninety nine say "Nah, we're just gonna
die. It sounds like a good idea. Eternal life? Hell, fuck no!". The mass
insanity! The death cult!. What is wrong with those people?

David Deutsch says that every day is the beginning of infinity. Those who
make it through the rapture of the nerds will rise to heavens in fiery
starships. They will conquer the firmament and piss on alien planets. They
will carry the eternal light of thought into the lifeless void.

I think it is the greatest idea since sliced bread. Life is good.

Ignemus lucem aeternam!

Rafal