[ExI] Criticisms of Many Worlds Interpretation (MWI)

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 23:04:38 UTC 2023

On Mon, 25 Sept 2023 at 23:39, Jason Resch via extropy-chat

<big snip>

> It tells us one thing quite clearly:
> If relativity is true (i.e., nothing can travel faster than light) then measurements do not have single outcomes (i.e., there are many worlds).
> So Aspect's result's are quite extraordinary. He proved that either relativity is false, or, that there are multiple universes.
> This is because if experiments have multiple outcomes, there is no need for any effect to travel faster than light to explain the Bell inequalities. MW can explain all the observations via local interactions that travel at the speed of light or slower.
>
> Jason

I asked several chatbots (that presumably have been trained on current
quantum theory) and they all agree with Daniel that MWI is only one of
several interpretations of quantum theory.

One sample response was:
Question:
Does spooky action and violation of Bell's inequalities imply many
worlds interpretation?

Answer | GPT-3.5-Turbo Model

The violation of Bell's inequalities does not necessarily imply the
Many-Worlds Interpretation (MWI) of quantum mechanics. Bell's
inequalities are mathematical constraints that describe the
correlations between measurements on entangled particles. The
violation of these inequalities indicates that the predictions of
quantum mechanics cannot be explained by local hidden variables, which
are deterministic properties of the particles that are independent of
the measurements made on them. The MWI is one interpretation of
quantum mechanics that suggests the existence of parallel universes or
multiple worlds to explain the probabilistic nature of quantum
phenomena [10].

The Copenhagen Interpretation of quantum mechanics, which is one of
the oldest and most commonly taught interpretations, also takes into
account the violation of Bell's inequalities. It rejects the
assumption of counterfactual definiteness or "realism" and argues that
quantum mechanics is as realistic as any theory of its scope and
maturity can be [12]. The Copenhagen Interpretation emphasizes the
indeterministic nature of quantum mechanics and the need to consider
specific laboratory arrangements and complementary properties of
quantum systems [12].

It is important to note that the interpretation of Bell's theorem and
its implications for the nature of reality are still subjects of
debate among physicists and philosophers. While the violation of
Bell's inequalities suggests non-locality and challenges certain
classical notions of reality, it does not necessarily imply the MWI or
any specific interpretation of quantum mechanics [12].

In summary:
Violation of Bell's inequalities indicates that the predictions of
quantum mechanics cannot be explained by local hidden variables.
The Many-Worlds Interpretation is one possible interpretation of
quantum mechanics that suggests the existence of parallel worlds, but
the violation of Bell's inequalities does not necessarily imply this
interpretation.
The Copenhagen Interpretation is another widely taught interpretation
that takes into account the violation of Bell's inequalities and
emphasizes the indeterministic nature of quantum mechanics.
The interpretation of Bell's theorem and its implications for the
nature of reality are still subjects of debate among physicists and
philosophers [10] [12].