[ExI] Dyson Sphere? Why? Just move planets into Habitable Zone.

Gregory Jones spike at rainier66.com
Wed Sep 27 00:50:31 UTC 2023

OK.  Imagine a kind of a flattened donut shaped cloud of devices shaped
like a disc, about 100 micron diameter and 100 nanometer thickness.  These
devices have three patches on them, like a single pixel of an LCD on a
watch.  These can be either reflective or absorptive, so the light pressure
on them varies according to whether they are reflective or absorptive.
Having three of them spaced at 120 degrees equidistant from the CG of the
device means it can hold any orientation with respect to the star about
which it orbits.

Back to the donut shaped cloud of these devices, orbiting a small planet.
Imagine that planet is too close to its star and the orbiting devices want
to move it outboard.  The discs orient themselves to reflect photons in the
direction from which the planet has come, so that it directs momentum in
such a way as to cause the planet-particulate cloud system to gradually
accumulate angular momentum from the photons.

In a few million years, the planet has moved away from the star a few
million km, out to the more comfortable zone.

One can move a star that way too: orbiting refective discs, individually
steerable, forming a series of concentric spherical shells, reflecting
light in the same direction, so that the star accumulates the momentum of
its photons, and gradually accelerates in the opposite direction it
reflects its light.  Moving a star that way takes a while, a few tens of
millions of years perhaps.  But what's the hurry?

On Tue, Sep 26, 2023 at 2:15 PM Keith Henson via extropy-chat <