[ExI] Fwd: [Extropolis] NYTimes.com: Did One Guy Just Stop a Huge Cyberattack?

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 17:37:48 UTC 2024

On Fri, Apr 5, 2024 at 9:34 AM Keith Henson via extropy-chat <

> From: Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, Apr 4, 2024 at 7:59 PM
> Subject: Re: [Extropolis] NYTimes.com: Did One Guy Just Stop a Huge
> Cyberattack?
> To: <extropolis at googlegroups.com>
>
> On Thu, Apr 4, 2024 at 5:15 AM John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Explore this gift article from The New York Times. You can read it for
> free without a subscription.
> >
> > Did One Guy Just Stop a Huge Cyberattack?
> >
> > A Microsoft engineer noticed something was off on a piece of software he
> worked on. He soon discovered someone was probably trying to gain access to
> computers all over the world.
> >

> https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/03/technology/prevent-cyberattack-linux.html?unlocked_article_code=1.h00.SM26.A41shONSS_wE&smid=em-share
> >
> That's one of the most amazing stories I have ever heard.

And yet, it happens. My favorite take so far is from
https://twitter.com/vxunderground/status/1774092131822444682 :

Microsoft engineer: 500ms lag in liblzma? Something's up.

Also Microsoft engineer: 45 minute lag in Microsoft Teams? Perfect.