[ExI] AI-controlled fighter planes & race cars

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Wed Apr 24 14:25:30 UTC 2024

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of BillK via extropy-chat
Sent: Wednesday, 24 April, 2024 7:10 AM
To: Extropy Chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: BillK <pharos at gmail.com>
Subject: [ExI] AI-controlled fighter planes & race cars

The AI fighter pilot performed exactly as expected.
By Kristin Houser     April 22, 2024
<https://www.freethink.com/robots-ai/ai-fighter-pilot>
Quote:
For the first time, an AI fighter pilot faced off against a human pilot in a “dogfight” using actual jets in the air — a huge milestone in autonomous flight and military automation.
-------------

The first autonomous car race will be streamed live and free April 27
By Mike Hanlon    April 24, 2024
<https://newatlas.com/automotive/autonomous-car-race-streamed-live-free/>
Quote:
Eight teams will use identical Dallara Super Formula SF23 cars with the same autonomous technology stack, so like with any single marque race series, it's entirely down to the driver. This is a Grand Prix for software engineers. Each team can only utilize its coding skills, AI algorithms, and machine learning software expertise to teach the cars how to drive ... fast.

>...Still in the testing phase, but if AI can control F16s and race cars at the human level (or better) then the Singularity must really be near!

BillK

Oh this is soooo cool, thx BillK!

This to me has so many possibilities for new engineering challenges.  The robot cars can be scaled down in size, enough to make the cars affordable for private racing teams.  Because of motorcycles and boats, we already have super high performance light weight compact low cost factory-produced engines, such as the ones on the Mercury 225 outboard motor and the Hayabusa 1.3 liter bike engine.  We can use those babies to produce racecars with a mass of perhaps 500 kg with the highest point a meter or perhaps even less, off the track.  We are freed from having to build around a human occupant which doesn't scale down.  We can also take bigger risks with the robot cars.  We could even create a factory which produces standard Hayabusa-driven racing frames, perhaps mass produce them for 40k or less.  You add your computer and software, and off to the races.  Ordinary university race teams could enter that, privateers, oh this could be big.