[ExI] jbrains again, was: RE: Early Archives... Re: Yudkowsky ‘Humanity’s remaining timeline? It looks more like five years than 50’

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Feb 22 23:49:58 UTC 2024

> On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat

>…If it is fair to consider many uploaded humans as a single entity, is it fair to extend the same consideration to the multi-bodied mass of humanity that exists today?

Of course Adrian.

Do let me offer a scenario please.  I am going to intentionally choose parameters which are likely to produce a dimming like we see in Tabby’s star and her neighbors (the star I mean, not Dr. Boyajian.)

Suppose we had a group of JBrains, with a volume of about an earth, each with a quintillion nodes.  That many in that volume would still be diffuse (and possibly too diffuse to adequately explain the dimming.)  Imagine a trillion such earth-volume JBrains, so each node occupies an average volume of about a cubic kilometer.  They can maneuver as groups, even as they are themselves roughly bound together by slight gravitational attraction and held apart by slight net negative charge (which is easy to get a few AU from a star.)

Now imagine a trillion of those JBrains, loosely hanging out together, loosely analogous to a city (a really big city in this case.)

If those guys are in a loose cluster orbiting a few AU out, that would make a marvelous periodic dimming as viewed from out here.  It would also explain why the dimming is variable: they need to do directed radiation in order to do station-keeping.