[ExI] Open Individualism

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 18:49:46 UTC 2024

On Thu, Jan 4, 2024 at 9:26 AM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <

> On Thu, Jan 4, 2024, 12:10 PM Tara Maya via extropy-chat <
>
>> So it's like a "people's republic" where the combination of words
>> actually reverses the meaning of both. Open Individualism" is a philosophy
>> that is the inverse of the Enlightenment's ideal of individualism; in fact,
>> it's quite fine to sacrifice millions of so-called "open individuals" if
>> they are but clonal cells sacrificed by the One Body for the Greater Good.
>>

> I am not sure how you get from "all experiences belong to one universal
> person" to justifying the sacrifice of millions. Can you explain what steps
> you took to get there?

It's quite simple, with ample historical documentation.  Whenever
individual human beings become seen as not distinct persons, but just
assets belonging to someone else - much like your skin cells are your
assets, not individual people - then they can and will be sacrificed en
masse if and when convenient for the "real" people.

In this case, if everyone is the same person, then everyone is me.  I own
myself and everything that is me.  If both of these are true, I therefore
own everyone else (again: because everyone else is me and I own all parts
of myself).

If I own everyone else, then they are assets of mine that I do not need to
treat as distinct human beings.  I know that I am a person, so if there is
only one universal person, then I am that person.