[ExI] NASA wants to visit Proxima Centauri

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 14:55:40 UTC 2024

Phase I studies are studies of how and if it could be done.  Almost
certainly, these will show how long the program must be kept in operation
with active input, which will be a deciding factor in preventing the
proposed mission from happening.

The Voyagers have only lasted as long as they have because they have needed
little maintenance: just some occasional software updates and coaching
through certain problems.  Also, no commitment was required decades in
advance: if the Voyagers shut down or broke up once they reached the Kuiper
belt, the primary science mission would still have been declared a success,
especially if any useful data could be obtained about why that termination
event happened.  Maintaining an active laser feed for decades before
obtaining much useful science seems beyond NASA's ability.

(But note that "before" qualifier!  A probe to study the interstellar
medium, that happens to be able to reach and study Proxima Centauri if it
lasts that long, is another story entirely.  The primary science mission,
and thus the initial commitment, would only have to last until shortly
after the probe crossed our system's heliopause.  Once that is
accomplished, the laser can be kept on until funding dries up, something
malfunctions, or - somehow - nothing goes too horribly wrong for decades
and the probe reaches Proxima Centauri.  However, that is not what is being
proposed here.)

On Sat, Jan 6, 2024, 3:30 AM BillK via extropy-chat <