[ExI] A Paranormal Prediction

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 20:01:09 UTC 2024

On Sat, Jan 6, 2024 at 11:28 AM Kelly Anderson via extropy-chat <

> So along those lines... when do you think we'll see the first AI
> president of ANY country? I could imagine an interesting story where
> say El Salvador elects/installs the first AI president, and
> immediately starts to gain so much international prestige and does so
> well that other countries start to come on board with the program...
> But, of course, other scenarios could certainly play out. I picked El
> Salvador, as they were the first country to accept Bitcoin as legal
> tender and seem ready to embrace an uncertain technological future
> rather than sit around waiting for the bigger countries to beat up on
> them in various ways. Thoughts?

I, too, would look to El Salvador as an example because of their bitcoin
experience.

And the apparently utter disaster it has been, largely due to a failure to
win the trust of the general public.

This suggests that, until and unless (emphasis on "and unless") those who
propose these schemes include workable ways to get the public to accept
them, they will - or at least their practical effects will - be postponed
indefinitely.

Now, can anyone predict when those who propose such schemes will include
workable ways to get the public to trust them?  In theory that could happen
today...or it could have happened at any time in the past decade, but
apparently has not, which fails to suggest a reasonable upper limit for how
long it will take.  "Anywhen from now until forever" is not a usefully
narrow time range.